Pollo con Salsa de Queso (Chicken Breast with Cheese Sauce)
- 3 tablespoons of butter divided
- 3 chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Use a sharp knife to slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Season both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Place the 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the chicken breast and cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add the rest of the butter, onion and garlic to the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the flour and cook for another 2 minutes, then add the milk to the flour mixture and whisk until the sauce thickens.
- Place the cooked chicken breast in the sauce and cook for 1 more minute. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve warm.
- Stir in the cheese, stirring until the sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
One of my favorite weeknight meals growing up in Colombia was my mom’s Pollo con Salsa de Queso. She’d pour a creamy cheese sauce over cooked chicken breast and serve it over a big scoop of rice to soak up all the delicious sauce. I made my version last week, with that memory in mind, and it was perfect, just like I remembered.
I never go wrong with chicken, especially when it’s an entire meal cooked in just one pan. This Chicken Breast with Cheese Sauce is an easy recipe and great for a weeknight meal.