Rice with Chorizo and Shrimp(Arroz con Chorizo Y Camarones)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 Colombian chorizos sliced
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 to matoes chopped
- 1 scallion finely chopped
- 2 cups rice
- 4 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon achiote color or sazon goya with azafran
- 12 shrimp peeled and deveined
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- In a large pan over medium heat, add the oil and the chorizo. Sautué for 5 minutes or until the chorizo is brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions, tomatoes, scallion and garlic to the pan and sautué for about 7 minutes or until translucent. Add the rice and stir to coat.
- Add the chicken stock, stir and bring to a boil. Add the chorizo and color. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook for about 15 minutes more. Turn the heat off and fluff the rice with fork. Add the fresh cilantro and stir. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
I was talking with a friend from Colombia the other day while she was making lunch. Since I started blogging I love to know what people are cooking in Colombian homes and she was making rice with chorizo. It sounded delicious, so last week I decided to make it too. However, because my sister is here, I added shrimp for her and we liked very much.
Rice with chorizo is a popular dish in the Andean zone of Colombia. Rice has been a staple in my diet my entire life and I love to eat and cook all sorts of rice dishes. This Rice with Chorizo and Shrimp has an amazing flavor. Be sure to serve it with lime on the side.