Roasted Vegetables Cake Roll ( Rollo de Vegetales)
- 5 eggs separated
- ½ cup all- purpose flour sifted
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow zucchini sliced
- 1 green zucchini sliced
- 3 tablespoon fresh thyme
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup finely fresh parsley
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Pre-heated the oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the sliced vegetables on the baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked. Let it cool.
- Herbed Cream Cheese: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Line a 9 x 13 brownie pan with waxed paper.
- Place the egg whites in a large clean bowl and with an electric mixer, beat until form soft peaks. Gradually add the egg yolks, one at a time until combined.
- Add the flour and sugar and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Mean while, spread out a sheet of waxed paper. Turn over the cake onto the waxed paper. Roll up the cake loosely while hot, beginning at a short side of the cake. The wax paper will roll up inside of the cake. Let it cool.
- Unroll and remove the paper. Spread the cream and place the roasted vegetable over the cake. Roll up and serve.
Do you remember the dulce de leche and coconut roll I made last week? Well, if you don’t, it’s ok, here’s the recipe. After I made the roll, I could not stop thinking about making a variation of it. However, I wanted to be sure that my vegetarian husband could eat it, so that is how this roasted vegetable pionono was born. I love sweet and savory together and let me tell you, it was absolutely delicious. Please try it 🙂