Roasted Vegetables Cake Roll ( Rollo de Vegetales)
- 5 eggs separated
- ½ cup all- purpose flour sifted
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow zucchini sliced
- 1 green zucchini sliced
- 3 tablespoon fresh thyme
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup finely fresh parsley
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Pre-heated the oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the sliced vegetables on the baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked. Let it cool.
- Herbed Cream Cheese: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Line a 9 x 13 brownie pan with waxed paper.
- Place the egg whites in a large clean bowl and with an electric mixer, beat until form soft peaks. Gradually add the egg yolks, one at a time until combined.
- Add the flour and sugar and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Mean while, spread out a sheet of waxed paper. Turn over the cake onto the waxed paper. Roll up the cake loosely while hot, beginning at a short side of the cake. The wax paper will roll up inside of the cake. Let it cool.
- Unroll and remove the paper. Spread the cream and place the roasted vegetable over the cake. Roll up and serve.
Do you remember the dulce de leche and coconut roll I made last week? Well, if you don’t, it’s ok, here’s the recipe. After I made the roll, I could not stop thinking about making a variation of it. However, I wanted to be sure that my vegetarian husband could eat it, so that is how this roasted vegetable pionono was born. I love sweet and savory together and let me tell you, it was absolutely delicious. Please try it 🙂
I love sweet and savory, too! This roasted vegetable cake roll would make such a marvelous appetizer or even a light meal. It looks so beautiful!
[Sigh]. I am collecting so many recipes from you - I'd better start cooking!
That's something different that I"ve never tried before. A cake roll with a savory filling inside. Now, that's very creative. 🙂
Wow, that's really creative idea. Now that I think about it, I think you've made a great combo of something sweet and something savory.
oh wow so cool love it and looks beautiful
Rebecca blogs about your blog and your recipes SO much-that I just had to have a peek!!
Fantastic blog and awesome recipe-will be coming back for more 🙂
sweet and savory?? wow!! just my kind!! yummmm!! cant wait to try this 🙂
omg...this sounds so good and its so pretty too 🙂
Wow, it looks very interesting and great! I want to try it!
Thank you guys for the wonderful comments!
What an interesting flavor combination. This would be great served as an appetizer. Very creative! No doubt hubby enjoyed it!
Interesting combination looks amazing!
Erica you tell me about my veggie recipes? you make the most unique things. This is like I have never heard before... gorgeous.
Oh wow!!!! Erica!!!!!
the cake roll looks amazing!!!! addition of veg.makes it so special..
Thank you everyone for visiting my blog:)
Heathers Christmas Cakes
Wow this looks so unusual and yet mouth watering. Looks very healthy and delicious, thanks for sharing your recipe with me, I love trying out things I haven't seen before.
These looks really yummy , good option for a vegetarian !
Wow!!! This was amazing...thank you so much for this recipe. My whole family loved it.