For most Colombians, no day begins without coffee (cafecito), while no meal ends without it, and it’s offered to guests any time of the day. We drink it black or with milk, the latter we call ‘café con leche’. I can’t imagine starting a day without coffee! I love just about any food and drink with coffee flavor. In Colombia, we often use coffee to make traditional desserts, cocktails and savory dishes.
This Torta de Café, was one of a variety of regular desserts that were served at my grandma’s house on Sunday afternoons and holidays. You could usually count on one of the following desserts: arroz con leche, plátanos calados, brevas caladas, or torta negra, or this Torta de Café, among a few others. Considering how much I love coffee, I’m surprised that I’ve not posted a recipe for this cake until now. Finally, I’ve made my own version of Mamita’s Torta de Café and it is absolutely delicious!
I topped and filled it with a frosting made with cream, instant coffee and shaved chocolate, which worked out very well. If you adore coffee as much as I do, then you’re going to love this cake!
This is one of those feel-good desserts that makes you feel warm and cozy inside, proving that food doesn’t have to be fancy to be good. I hope you enjoy my grandmother’s Torta de Café!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 8 oz (2 sticks) of butter
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of VERY strong coffee
- 2 cups very cold heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons Instant Coffee
- 1 cup grated or shave sweet chocolate, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Grease and lightly flour 2 (9-inch) round cake dishes.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a small pot heat the milk and butter, remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes. Add the sugar and continue mixing for 5 minutes more. Reduce the speed to low. Add the flour mixture, butter mixture, coffee and vanilla extract and mix for 1 more minute.
- Pour the batter into two baking dishes and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 10 min. Invert cakes onto wire racks, gently remove pans. Cool the cakes completely.
- In a large bowl the heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla, instant coffee and 6 tablespoons of shaved chocolate. Beat until the cream holds soft peaks.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate, spreading 1/2 of the frosting on top, place the other cake layer on top and spread the top with remaining frosting.
- Add the remaining shaved chocolate on top of the cake. Eat immediately or keep frosted cake refrigerated until ready to eat.