Plain white rice or arroz blanco is the base of most Colombian main dishes while Arroz Amarillo, or Yellow Rice, is a very popular side dish around the country. I’ve been getting a lot of e-mails from my readers asking me how to make this yellow rice, so here it is, the recipe as taught to me by my mom.
- 2 cups of uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- 2 ¼ cups water
- ½ teaspoon of ground achiote or color
- Salt to taste
- In a medium pot, place the rice and add the water, achiote, oil and salt.
- Bring to a boil for about 30 seconds, reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes and serve.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...