Arroz Amarillo (Yellow Rice)
- 2 cups of uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon of ground achiote or color
- Salt to taste
- In a medium pot, place the rice and add the water, achiote, oil and salt.
- Bring to a boil for about 30 seconds, reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes and serve.
Have you Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @mycolombianrecipes and tag #mycolombianrecipes!
Plain white rice or arroz blanco is the base of most Colombian main dishes while Arroz Amarillo, or Yellow Rice, is a very popular side dish around the country. I've been getting a lot of e-mails from my readers asking me how to make this yellow rice, so here it is, the recipe as taught to me by my mom.
A classic!! Goes with everything...
What gorgeous color. I use turmeric but it is not quite the gorgeous color you have here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary
All we need is unas habichuelitas...
Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook
Great color, looks delicious!
We had it for lunch yesterday with red beans. Nice recipe.
Thank you, everyone!
Where do I find achiote? What is it $ Thanks
Here is a post abosut achiote: https://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/achiote-oil-aceite-de-achiote/
But, you can use this homemade seasoning to make this rice: https://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/homemade-powdered-seasoning/
To use your homemade powdered seasoning for this Arroz Amarillo, how much do I put? Thanks for the recipe.
This rice is super duper delicious!!! It's a regular for my family. I used your recipe and then adapted it for use in my Instant Pot, following a basic recipe for cooking jasmine rice. It cooks quickly and wonderfully. I buy the achiote on Amazon, since I haven't been able to find it at my local grocery stores. I also use avocado oil. Thank you!