Rice is a staple in Colombian cuisine, and we have endless variations of rice dishes.
My Mom made this Spinach Rice at least once every other week to accompany her roasted chicken, pork chops, and even steak. This rice dish was a staple in our house for sure. I hated Arroz con Espinacas as a child, but as an adult, I love it! So simple to make and absolutely delicious, it is a rice recipe that goes well with many dishes. It is very tasty with a beautiful contrast of colors.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons of butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup of grated onion
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
3 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups of spinach, chopped
1. In a medium pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook about 3 minutes or until tender
2. Add the rice, stir with a wooden spoon to coat well, and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the spinach, broth and salt, bring to a boil, stir and decrease the heat to low.
4. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
5. Remove from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes.