I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned that flan is my favorite desert on earth, the one thing that I’d happily eat every day from here to eternity, but a close second is rice pudding.
This “Rice Pudding, Coconut and Pineapple Parfait” is seasonally appropriate, simple, beautiful and it can be made ahead of time. It’s just perfect for entertaining during the spring and summer. If you prefer, you can use mango or just play with your favorite fruits.
- 1 cup rice, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- Pinch salt
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (20 oz) of diced pineapple
- 2 cups grated coconut
For the rice pudding
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine the rice, water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Add the lemon rind, cinnamon sticks and reduce the heat to medium-low and cook uncovered, stirring once or twice, until the rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove the lemon rind and cinnamon sticks. In a medium bowl mix together the milk, vanilla and condensed milk. Pour the mixture over the rice, stir, and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 20 minutes more stirring occasionally.
- et aside to cool slightly or refrigerate. The rice pudding can be served warm, at room temperature, or cold.
- o serve: spoon some rice pudding into a wine glass, layer with some pineapple, sprinkle coconut and add another layer of rice pudding, another layer of pineapple and coconut. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.