This torta de mojicón is a bread pudding cake made with mojicón, a traditional Colombian bread and guava paste. It is a simple and delicious dessert.
What is Torta de Mojicón?
Torta de Mojicón is a sweet and moist bread pudding cake made with Mojicones (Colombian sweet rolls) and guava paste. I love serving this dessert while it's still warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a cup black coffee on the side.
This Colombian Style Bread Pudding is very easy to make and is a fun cooking project with kids.
Torta de Mojicón is a traditional dessert from Bogotá, the capital and largest city of Colombia. This beautiful city is located in the center of the country and was declared a World Book Capital, by UNESCO, and Iberoamerican Capital of Culture, by the UCCI.
Some of the most popular dishes of Bogotá are ajiaco, changua, carajillo, canelazo, almojábana, merengón, and chocolate caliente.
What You'll Need to Make this Recipe
Mojicones: Or Pan Mojicón are Colombian sweet rolls. This delicious bread is perfect for a bread pudding recipe and I have the recipe to make it at home. If you don't want to bake it at home. You can definitely substitute it for Portuguese sweet bread, brioche, or another sweet bread.
Milk and Heavy Cream: I like to use this mixture to add richness. Feel free to use just milk if you prefer.
Eggs: I recommend using cage free eggs.
Sugar: I like to use regular white sugar, but you can use light brown sugar if you prefer.
Guava paste: Also known as bocadillo is a must for this recipe.You can find it online, at Latin stores or check your International aisle at your local super market.
Flavor: Vanilla extract and ground cinnamon.
Torta de Pan Mojicón Recipe (Mojicón Bread Pudding Cake)
- 4 mojicones Colombian sweet rolls
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 5 eggs beaten
- ¾ cups of sugar
- 5 oz of guava paste 4 bocadillos, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Lightly butter a medium baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract and set aside.
- Slice the mojicones in half horizontally. Place the bottoms of the sliced mojicuón in the baking pan, add the guava paste, then the tops of the mojicones(brown side up), being sure the pieces of guava paste are between the layers of the bread or it will burn while baking.
- our the custard mixture over the mojicones and allow to soak for 10 minutes, pressing down gently.
- Bake for 40 to 45 more minutes or until the pudding puffs up and the custard is set. Remove from the oven and serve warm or at room temperature.
Looking for More Simple Dessert Recipes?
Tamarillo Preserves (Dulce de Tomate de Arbol)
Layered Jam Cake (Torta Maria Luisa)
Colombian Milk Pudding (Postre de Natas)
I never had anything like this Erica...I have been learning so much about the Colombian cuisine with you 🙂
I know that I will like because we love guava paste...looks delicious!
Have a great week ahead!
Thank you, Juliana!
this looks great and would love to visit your country
Thank you, Rebecca!
How lovely, especially with the guava paste!
I've never had guava paste or guavas before but this dessert sounds just fabulous! A need to try!
Thanks,Joanne! It is delicious!
i've never eaten guava paste, but i can tell just by looking at these lovely little pillows that they'd be delicious! thanks for sharing this, erica!
Thank you,Grace! Guava paste is sweet, sticky and delicious 🙂
Erica that looks amazing, so curious about the guava paste too.
Thanks, Evelyn! Guava paste is absolutely delicious....try it with fresh cheese on the side!
I made it last weekend and it was so good. thanks
I still can't believe I fund this amaze recipe right here :3
I can't get Guava paste here in France, but I can get guava jam. Can I use this instead?
I don't know! The cake will have a different texture. But you can try it and let me know!
Since writing to you last time, I've just received a variation recipe for this cake. From my Colombian friend in London, he makes it with cooked plantain with sliced white bread crumbled plus other things and a spiced caramel in the base of the cake tin!!