Knock, knock, knock… anybody home? No? You’re probably brining turkeys or baking hams, mashing sweet potatoes or baking pies or are at the mall finishing your holiday shopping. So, while most of you are working on your holiday meals and gifts, I want to wish a Merry Christmas to all of you and your families!
I want to share this Tres Leches Chocolate Cake or Torta de Tres Leches de Chocolate that I made for my husband’s birthday a month ago. He had been asking for this Tres Leches Chocolate Cake variation for a while, but I never made or even heard about it before. So, I created it for his birthday and it was a great idea. The result was a moist, rich and absolutely fantastic chocolate cake!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 12 tablespoons butter, soft
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Tres Leches Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Grease and lightly flour a baking dish.
- To make the cake: In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, cocoa and baking powder.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes .Reduce the speed to low. Add the flour mixture, butter, water and vanilla extract and mix for 2 more minutes.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Remove cake from the oven and with a fork make holes all over the top of the cake. Set aside to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the cake is cooling, make the milk sauce, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, heavy cream and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the 3 milks sauce over the cake until it is all absorbed. Refrigerate for a least 3 hours or overnight.
- For the frosting, in a small pot mix the water and sugar, over medium high heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Set aside.Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks are formed. While beating the egg whites, add sugar syrup and continue beating for 5 more minutes. Add vanilla extract and beat 1 more minute. Spread the frosting over the cake.
- Turn on the broil for your oven and place the top rack in the middle.
- Cover cake with meringue. Bake for 2 minutes; or until the meringue is lightly browned. In this step you must be careful because the meringue can burn very quickly. To avoid accidents I do it with the oven door open.