Colombians like rice and it is very hard to imagine a meal that does not include some type of rice dish. This rice and shrimp dish has a lot of flavor, because we’ll blend the shrimp shells into the stock, which will then be used to cook the rice. The rice will absorb the taste of the shrimp and will be packed with flavor and just delicious.
1 pound fresh and un-peeled shrimp
3 ½ cups water
1 cup rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1 fish bouillon tablet
¼ cup green pepper, chopped
¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 scallion, finely chopped
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon tomato paste
¼ cup frozen carrots and peas
Salt and Pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. In a small pot place the un-peeled shrimp, fish bouillon tablet and water and cook for about 3 minutes or until the shrimp turns pink.
2. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl. Peel and save the shells and the stock to use later.
3. Heat the olive oil and butter in a medium pot over medium- high heat. Add the onions and cook for 1 minute, add the garlic, green pepper, Red pepper, scallions and tomato. Cook for about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place the shrimp shells and stock in a blender and blend for 2 minutes. Pass through a sieve and discard the shells and save the stock.
5. Add the rice to the tomato mixture, stirring until well coated. Add the stock, tomato paste, ground cumin, paprika, salt and black pepper and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp, peas and carrots and cook for and additional 5 to 7 minutes.
6. Add fresh parsley and serve.