We Colombians love to cook with Coca-Cola. We use it to make rice, to cook meat and poultry, in desserts and appetizers. It may sound like a weird ingredient to use for cooking, but it gives wonderful flavor to savory dishes.
This Slow Cooker Coca-Cola Short Ribs recipe is the kind of thing you can throw together and then forget about for a few hours, which I love during the week. You can use the slow cooker like I did here, or if you prefer, simmer it in a regular pot over low heat, covered, on the stove until tender.
Slow Cooker Coca-Cola Short Ribs is good comfort food, and for me comfort food is always in season. The sauce is rich, full of flavor and perfect for drizzling over the short ribs and rice. It’s addictive!
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, cut into pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups of Coca-Cola
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Place the short ribs in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onions and garlic over the ribs.
- our in the Coca-Cola, cover and cook until the meat is separating from the bones, 5 to 6 hours on high or 7 to 8 hours on low, or according to the slow cooker manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the ribs to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Skim the excess fat off the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and add the scallions. Cook for about 15 minutes more.
- Spoon the sauce over the ribs and rice, serve immediately.