Torta de Dulce de Coco is one of my favorite desserts to make, and eat, when the weather starts to cool down. This Colombian dessert is a moist cake made with Dulce de Coco (Coconut and Milk Dessert) and Bizcochuelo (Sponge Cake). This Colombian Coconut Pudding Cake is originally from the department of El Valle, Colombia.
Torta de Dulce de Coco is sweet, rich and comforting, and is one of those desserts that makes a meal complete. It can be made 2 to 3 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container, so it’s convenient when entertaining and you have a lot of cooking to get done. If you are looking for Thanksgiving or other holiday menu ideas, this cake might make a great addition to the festivities!
(About 15 servings)
- 4 1/2 cups of sponge cake crumbs or bizcochuelo
- 3/12 cups of dulce de coco or Milk and Coconut Dessert
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 cup of sweet wine
- 5 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of raisins (optional)
- Preheat an oven to 325°F. Lightly butter an 8 x 8 square baking pan or 8 round baking pan.
- Place all the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for about 15 minutes, then release the pan sides and slide the cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm or cold.