This traditional flan recipe is easy to make and delicious. I love making flan for parties, because it can be make ahead.
I am posting this Traditional Flan recipe today in honor of Mother’s Day, as it is my mom’s favorite dessert. Flan is very popular in Latin America and Spain.
Flan de Leche Recipe (Traditional Flan)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 5 Whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- To prepare the caramel, put 1 cup of sugar in a small pot with ½ cup of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir once and reduce the heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes or until the syrup turns a caramel color.
- Immediately pour an equal amount of the caramel into each ramekin or any oven proof mold you want to use. Swirl each dish to coat the base with the caramel, work fast as the caramel will harden quickly as it cools. Place all the ramekins in a large roasting pan and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer. Mix the eggs, egg yolks and 1 ½ tablespoon sugar for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the condensed milk, heavy cream, whole milk and vanilla extract and mix for 1 more minute.
- Carefully pour an equal amount of the flan mixture into the caramelized ramekins in the roasting pan. Then add hot water to the roasting pan, not to the ramekins, until the water comes half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center of the flan comes out clean.
- Remove from the roasting pan and cool for at least 30 minutes. Then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To serve, carefully run a knife around the edge of the ramekin, cover with a serving plate, flip it over and gently remove the ramekin allowing the caramel run over the sides.