Since coming to the United States, I prefer to cook with frozen yuca instead of fresh. Finding fresh yuca just right is tricky and the frozen one tastes great, comes already peeled and turns out very tender.
I usually have yuca in the fridge and the other day I was thinking of ways to cook it. So, I decided to make a recipe with yuca that I usually make with potatoes and my husband loved This Yuca Gratin or Yuca Gratinada. Enjoy.
1 pound frozenyuca
Salt and pepper
2 cups heavy cream
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 chicken or vegetable bouillon
2 tablespoon butter
1 beaten egg
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Cook the yuca in a large pot with salted water over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until fork tender.
2. Adjust oven rack in the middle position and preheat to 375° F.
3. Drain the yuca and remove any fibers from the center. Transfer to a large bowl and mash.
4. Heat the heavy cream, chicken or vegetable bouillon, garlic, butter and salt in a small pot over medium heat.
5. Add the cream mixture, beaten egg, parsley and chives to the mashed yuca and mix well.
6. Transfer the yuca mixture to a greased baking dish, sprinkle with the parmesan cheese on top and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden in some parts. Serve warm.