Boliarepitas (Colombian Cheese-Arepa Balls)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups precooked cornmeal
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Pinch salt
- Combine the cornmeal, warm water, cheese, and salt, mixing thoroughly. Let mixture stand for about 7 minutes.
- Knead with your hands for about 3 minutes moistening your hands with warm water as you work.
- Form 24 small balls with the dough.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, then fry boliarepas in 2 or 3 batches, turning over once, until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
These Boliarepas are fairly simple to make and are delicious. The inside becomes soft and cheesy, while the outside forms a very thin, crispy shell. They are a perfect party food, and they always go fast. So, if you’re serving a crowd, you might want to double the recipe. They are absolutely fantastic!
This time my oldest son helped me make them, mixing the cheese into the masa. The problem was that we nibbled them hot as they came off of the stove and I didn't have many left for the pictures!