Breaded Catfish (Bagre Apanado o A la Milanesa)
- 4 catfish fillets skins and bones removed rinsed and patted dry
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powdered
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Mix the flour, paprika, garlic powder and cumin in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. In a third dish add the bread crumbs.
- Season the catfish with salt and pepper. Coat the fish fillets with the flour, dip in the eggs and dredge in the crumbs.
- Drop carefully in the hot oil. Fry for 4 minutes until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined sheet tray. Season with salt and pepper.
There are many types of fish that we eat in Colombia that I haven’t found in the United States. Catfish, however, is very popular in both countries, so I am able to make some traditional Colombian catfish recipes.
We make catfish it in many different ways. In addition to breaded, we sometimes fry a whole catfish or grill it using various types of sauces. Fish in Colombia is usually served with fried green plantains or yuca on the side. I hope you enjoy this recipe!