Papas Rellenas are a popular Colombian food that we eat for breakfast or as a snack. You can serve these Colombian Stuffed Potatoes hot or cold and they are delicious with ají sauce. Colombians have different versions of Papas Rellenas. I called my aunt in Florida to get my grandmother’s recipe for this one. Some people add cooked egg and rice to the meat filling. I have included a vegetarian version too.
(10 stuffed potatoes)
Vegetable oil for frying
5 medium potatoes
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped tomato
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped scallions
1 garlic clove, minced
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon sazon Goya with azafran
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
½ pound ground beef
For a vegetarian version:
Use the same ingredients in the meat filling except the beef and add 1 cup frozen carrots and peas.
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ tablespoon sazon Goya with azafran
¼ cup milk
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into chunks, put them in a medium pot and cover with water and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and cook until fork tender about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with a fork or masher and set aside.
- Prepare the filling, in a large sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat and add the onion, tomato, scallions, garlic, cumin, azafran, pepper and salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent, add the beef and cook stirring occasionally about 10 – 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl place all the batter ingredients and whisk until smooth and set aside.
- Divide the potato mash into 10 equal sized portions, about 1/3 cup each, and form each portion into a ball by rolling between the palms of your hands. Flatten into patties and place 1 ½ tablespoons of the filling in the center of each one. Shape the potato mixture with the filling into balls to enclose the filling completely.
- Fill a large heavy pot with vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat to 360° F.
- Dip the stuffed potato into the batter and carefully place them in the hot oil and fry for about 4 minutes or until golden, turning over halfway through. Remove the potatoes from the oil using a slotted spoon and drain in a plate with paper towels. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with Ají.