Colombian Boronía is a traditional dish made with plantains and eggplant. It's a wonderful recipe from the Caribbean region of the country.
What is Boronía?
It is comprised of mashed eggplant and ripe plantains. This is traditional dish from the Caribbean region of Colombia and it's usually served as a side.
This is the perfect side dish to any meal. I also like to serve this Boronía recipe as a dip with pita chips or crackers. You can serve it either way, but do serve it warm.
What You'll Need to Make Boronía
Eggplant is one of the main ingredients, so be sure to buy it fresh. Look for small to medium-sized because they are less bitter.
Ripe plantain is the other key ingredient, look for yellow plantains with black spots.
Boronía Recipe (Mashed Plantain and Eggplant)
- 3 large ripe plantains peeled and diced
- 1 large eggplants peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 scallions chopped
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Place the eggplant and plantain in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the tomato, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the eggplant and plantains in a food processor until they are combined, being careful not to over-process. The two ingredients only need to be blended together, not completely pureed.
- Transfer eggplant and plantain mixture to a bowl. Add the guiso or tomato mixture and mozzarella cheese and mix well. Spoon to a serving bowl.
More Recipes to Try
Pescado Aborrajado (Battered Fish)
Arepa de Huevo (Egg Stuffed Arepa)
How fascinating! I would have never put eggplant and plantain together, but yum! This looks seriously delicious.
The eggplant plantain is an awesome combo!
The eggplant- plantain dip is just great. Much like a dish I make. But this one has got layers of flavor to it! will surely make it!
I made this for my family and friends and it was wonderful. They loved it. I served it warm.
The combination of eggplant and plantain is totally new to me and I love how delicious it turned out, Erica.
what a wonderful dish! i can see myself eating this with many different types of things and it'd enhance every single one!
Oh this looks great! Never tried plantains and eggplant together. And love hos it is a side dish and can be a dip. Bookmarked.
Did it today and it was sooo delicious! Thank you!
What is Guiso? Had a google and it came up with stew of tomato, scallions cumin and beef?
please, what is GUISO? I came up with a meet based stew. Is that what you put on the top? It sounds like an incredible dish.
I must say this was one of the most amazing dips I have ever tried. The flavouring is mild yet complex somehow! I’m going to share on Twitter.
Absolutely delicious recipe!
Swapped the mozz for parmeggiano and added black beans. Delicious dish, really satisfying and health! Already a favorite!