If you’re a regular reader it’s likely that you know how much I love flans! As
I ‘ve mentioned before, flan is a popular dessert in Colombia and we have many variations of this delicious dessert.
My sister Catalina came to visit from Colombia about 3 weeks ago, so I have been really busy, but happy! Having my sister in my house means a lot to me and having her trying all of my dishes is wonderful.
She loves food as much as I do and we have so many memories associated with our family recipes and so much to share that we don’t stop talking for one second. Last week I asked her what kind of dessert she would like and she requested a flan. So I wanted to make one that I didn’t have yet on my blog and we decided that Mango Flan would be perfect and let me tell you, it was absolutely delicious!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 can(14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh mango for garnish
- To prepare the caramel, put 1 cup of sugar in a small pot with ¼ cup of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir once and reduce the heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes or until the syrup turns a caramel color.
- Immediately pour an equal amount of the caramel into each ramekin or any oven proof mold you want to use. Swirl each dish to coat the base with the caramel, work fast as the caramel will harden quickly as it cools. Place all the ramekins in a large roasting pan and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a blender mix the mango chunks, heavy cream, eggs and egg yolks for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth. Add the condensed milk, sugar and vanilla extract and mix for 1 more minute.
- Carefully pour an equal amount of the flan mixture into the caramelized ramekins in the roasting pan. Then add hot water to the roasting pan, not to the ramekins, until the water comes half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center of the flan comes out clean.
- Remove from the roasting pan and cool for at least 30 minutes. Then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To serve, carefully run a knife around the edge of the ramekin, cover with a serving plate, flip it over and gently remove the ramekin allowing the caramel run over the sides. Add some sliced fresh mango on top and serve.