I've been craving today's recipe, Pastel de Chocolo con Champiñones, for a long time. One of my aunts in Colombia makes this dish and I've always loved it, but never made it at home until a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t even have her recipe, but luckily, I remembered watching her make it and tasting all of those wonderful flavors.
Pastel de Chocolo con Champiñones (Mushrooms and Corn Casserole)
For the filling:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds fresh small portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
For the Corn layer:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus more to top the casserole
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter
- In a large pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, red pepper, cumin and thyme. Cook for one more minute. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the corn layer: In a large bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Rich, comforting, and full of flavor, this Mushrooms and Corn Casserole is a wonderful meatless main dish. Spoonful after spoonful, you can smell the earthy aromas of mushrooms, cumin and thyme that blend perfectly with the sweet corn.
Buen provecho and I hope you all have a lovely weekend with lots of happy cooking.
I have to bookmark this one and make it. I can just see myself eating that tonight. Very comforting dish. I actually did not have to read the English translation for the tittle this time ha.
Gosh, that looks good, Erica! I guess we both love mushrooms! 🙂 Super idea to combine them with corn/cornmeal topping. I like the cumin addition too. Will have to try that.
This looks wonderful, love all the ingredients! What size casserole dish did you use? I have a nice deep 9" quiche dish that would be perfect for this.
I can see why you crave it. It's a great feeling when you recreate something and it turns out the way you want it to!
What a great side dish this would make. Love the flavors in this!