Tilapia in Mushroom Sauce (Tilapia en Salsa de Champiñones)
- 2 6 oz Tilapia fillets
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ pound Portobello mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
- Season both sides of tilapia fillets with salt and black pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tilapia fillets and cook 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set a saucepan over medium-high heat and add the butter. Once melted, add the mushrooms, onions, garlic and thyme to the pan and cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan, stir to combine, and cook the roux, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk the milk into the saucepan. Season the sauce with the salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until sauce is thick and smooth and any floury taste is gone, about 5 minutes.
- Top tilapia with mushroom mixture just before serving.
Have you Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @mycolombianrecipes and tag #mycolombianrecipes!
Fish in mushroom sauce is a dish that I usually get in restaurants in Colombia. Some fish commonly used in this recipe are catfish and trout, and it is usually served with patacón and salad. I love tilapia and I had it in my refrigerator, so used it instead and it turned out very well!
Columbian food looks so yummy at all times! Lucky you!
Looks amazing and new to me..I haven't tasted yet.gr8 recipe...will try sometimes..:)
A lovely mushrooms sauce,...MMMMMMMMMM!!!
oh my....I love fish and love cream sauce. Don't know why I've never thought to try this! I'm going to make it next week.
Oh! This tilapia with mushroom sauce looks delicious, nice combination of flavors!
Love the fish!, but I want to know, is that couscous? and can you give us the recipe?, it looks yummy!
That is couscous! I will post the recipe soon.
Tilapia...hmm not my fave fish..you think trout is gonna work ? I am so up for trying this one sometime this week!
Thank you all for the comments:)
Just love these recipes. I have tilapia as well, so I'll give this a try.
Tilapia and Mushroom ..excllnt combo...
I love that creamy mushroom sauce... I would eat anything if it was topped with that beautiful flavor. But this dish looks perfect alround...and I love the cous cous with almonds too...do you have the recipe for that posted ?
Thank you guys!
another winner - love tilapia and mushrooms. Imagine the combination is even better!
this was delish!!!!!! i absolutly loved the recipe my husband doesnt like fish and he was talking about it all night and wants to eat it again for our family reunion next week thank you
I made this with tilapia and it was soooo good! Everyone loved it, even the non-fish eaters. For a cream sauce this is on the light side but it tastes like the fully fattening version. I will definitely be making this again!
I loved this, and so did my husband, who is very picky about sauce on anything. I don’t often have much luck with random Internet recipes, but this is definitely a keeper! I agree with the comment above that it tastes much richer than the ingredients warrant.