Caldo de Costilla is a rich and delicious soup made with beef ribs, potatoes, carrots and herbs, and is from the Andean region of Colombia. This Beef Soup is usually served for breakfast and it is the best cure for a hangover, or Guayabo in Colombia.
Short ribs are the best and the most commonly used meat for this soup. The other two ingredients of the dish that I consider essential to this soup are cilantro and potatoes.
(About 4 to 6 servings)
- 3 pounds of short ribs
- About15 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground achiote
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 cup of onion, diced
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound of potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the ribs in a large pot with the cumin, achiote salt, pepper, and the water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about one hour. Place the garlic, onions and scallions in a blender with 1/4 cup of water and blend for about 1 minute. Add this mixture to the pot and cook for 40 minutes more.
- Add half of the cilantro, potatoes and carrots. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 25 to 30 minutes more or until the potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve warm.