This post is also available in Spanish
I’m a Colombian who loves and misses Colombian food, even though some of those foods are just a bit unhealthy, like this Fritanga o Picada Colombiana, a platter of fried meats and vegetables.
Though fritanga is something I eat once a year, it’s a traditional Colombian dish I thoroughly love and enjoy whenever I eat it. If you are going to make a fritanga, invite a group of friends, because this is the ultimate share and party food.
There are different variations of this dish and every cook adds different ingredients to their platter, but some of the most popular ingredients in the Fritanga Colombiana are fried green plantains (patacones), pork belly (chicharrón), small yellow potatoes (papa criolla), chorizo, pork ribs, yuca fries (yuca frita), morcilla and ripe plantains.
Feel free to add your favorite ingredients or whatever you have at home. This fritanga is delicious served with a tall cold beer, guacamole, ají (Colombian hot sauce), lime wedges, and hogao on the side.
Cook’s note: If you prefer to cook the ribs in the oven: Line a baking pan with foil, spray with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange ribs on the foil. Cover with another piece of foil and bake at 325°F for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until tender.
(4 to 6 servings)
- 2 to 3 pounds pork ribs or pork meat cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup aliños sauce
- 1 cup of oil for frying
- 2 pounds of chorizo, cut into pieces and cooked
- Patacones (Recipe here)
- Yuca fries (Recipe here)
- Papa criolla (Recipe here)
- 1 large tomato, cut into pieces
- Lime wedges for serving
- Guacamole for serving
- Hogao for serving
- Ají for serving
- In a large plastic bowl place the pork, add the aliños sauce. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for a least three hours or overnight.
- Put the oil in a pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot. Add the pork ribs and fry for about 15 minutes or until they are cooked and golden.
- When ready to serve, arrange all the ingredients on a large serving platter and serve with sauces.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...