Huevos Pericos is a traditional and very popular Colombian breakfast. It is, simply, scrambled eggs with tomatoes and scallions.
Adding corn makes for a delicious variation of the traditional dish and the best part is, it’s a super easy recipe. Serve it with arepa and cheese on the side.
Ingredients (4-6 Servings)
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup cooked corn, fresh or frozen
6 large eggs
2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
4 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
Salt to taste
1. In a medium non-stick skillet heat the butter and oil over medium heat.
2. Add the tomatoes and scallions and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the corn, stir and cook for about 2 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl beat the eggs and salt. Pour the eggs in the skillet with the tomato mixture and cook over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture begins to set.
4. Stir twice or until the eggs mix with the tomato and scallions and cook about 2 minutes or until the eggs are the consistency you like.
5. Transfer to a serving plate and serve warm.