This post is also available in Spanish
These Buñuelos de Plátano Maduro are absolutely delicious and they can be served as an appetizer, side dish, snack or even as a dessert. If you prefer not to have them sweet just omit the guava paste.
(Makes 15 – 1 ½ in balls)
- 3 Large very ripe plantains
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/3 cup guava paste, diced
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sugar for garnish (optional)
- Cut the plantains in half, but don’t peel.
- Place the plantains in a medium pot and cover with water. Cook over medium heat for about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Remove the plantains from the water and peel. Mash with a potato masher or a fork.
- Form 15 balls of about 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons of plantain mash. Flatten them with your hands and place 1 piece of guava paste and 1 piece of cheese in the center.
- Form the ball again and place in a heavy pot with hot oil, over medium high heat. Fry for about 4 minutes turning over once, until golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the oil. Serve hot and sprinkle with sugar if you like.