Imagine pork shoulder, slow cooked until it falls apart and flavorful as can be. Imagine a spicy jalapeño-cilantro sauce, the flavor of red onion and queso fresco to go along with that tender pork. Now imagine it all in one amazingly flavorful bite.
These tacos are the perfect meal with a Corona beer and flan for dessert. Of course if you are listening to mariachi music it will super special, just like being in Mexico!
4 pounds of pork shoulder
3 cups water
1 onion, chopped
7 garlic cloves
3 scallion, chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chile powder
Salt and pepper
Jalapeño- Cilantro Sauce:
1 cup crema fresca or creme fraiche
2 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 jalapeño pepper
1 cup fresh cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper
1 cup sliced cabbage
1/2 cup queso fresco
1 red onion thinly sliced
1. Purée the onions, garlic, red bell pepper, ground cumin, chile powder in a blender until smooth.
2. Put the pork in the slow cooker. Add the onion mixture, then cover and cook on high for 6 to 7 hours. The meat should be fork-tender and falling apart.
3. Remove the meat and place in a large bowl to cool. When the meat is cool enough, shred it with your fingers.
4. Make the salsa and assemble the tacos:
In a blender, mix the jalapeño, cilantro, crema fresca, mayonnaise, cumin, salt, pepper and the lime juice.
5. Divide the pork and cabbage evenly among the tortillas. Drizzle with the jalapeño sauce and top with the sliced red onion.
6. Garnish with the cilantro and queso fresco and serve immediately.