This post is also available in Spanish
Arroz Atollado is a traditional Colombian dish from the Pacific region of the country, which includes the departments of Nariño, Chocó, Cauca, and El Valle del Cauca. This region of Colombia is located on the pacific ocean and borders Panama in the north and Ecuador in the south.
There are many different variations of this creamy rice dish. Some of them are Atollado de Cangrejo (crab rice), Atollado de Pato (duck rice), Atollado de Carne Ahumada (smoked meat rice) and Atollado del Valle (pork rice).
I am in love with this version of arroz atollado de pollo con chorizo because it’s packed with many incredible flavors, it’s easy to make, and it tastes even better the next day! So whether you find yourself hosting a lunch for your friends, a Sunday family dinner, or just need a meal idea during the week, I think you will find this creamy rice with chicken and chorizo a wonderful addition to the table.
(6 to 8 servings)
2 tablespoons oil
3 chicken breast bone in and 8 chicken thighs or legs
1/2 cup of aliños sauce (see recipe here)
7 cups of water
Hogao or sofrito:
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
5 scallions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon achiote powder
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 chorizos crumbled
2 cups white rice
2 cups potatoes peeled and cut into 1 and 1/2 inch pieces
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- To cook the chicken: Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the chicken legs or thighs and cook about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until just cooked on the outside. Add the chicken breast, aliños and water. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking make the hogao: In a large sauce pan over medium-low heat, add 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, tomatoes, scallions, garlic, red pepper, achiote, salt, black pepper, ground cumin and cilantro. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat a set aside.
- To make the rice: Remove the chicken from the liquid and set aside. Strain the stock and measure 4 1/2 cups, if you don’t have enough add more water. Using a fork or your hands shred the chicken breast and set aside.
- In a large pot, add the hogao and chorizo and cook for about 2 minutes, add the rice and mix well. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, add shredded chicken and potatoes, stir well and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, sprinkle with fresh cilantro, add the chicken legs and serve.