Helado de Ron con Pasas (Rum and Raisins Ice Cream)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- ¾ cups sugar
- ¼ cup dark rum
- ½ cup of raisins
- Place the raisins and rum in small bowl. Let it sit for about 3 hours.
- Combine the milk, cream and sugar in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Add about half of the hot liquid to the egg yolks and whisk until smooth.
- Add the yolk mixture to the saucepan and whisk until incorporated. Bring the liquid back to simmer and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a glass bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture. Cool the mixture completely.
- Pour the mixture in a plastic container and put it in the freezer. After 45 minutes, take it out of the freezer. Add raisins and rum mixture to the custard and with an electric mixer, whisk for about 2 minutes and return to the freezer.
- Continue doing the same process every 30 minutes, until the ice cream is frozen. This will take about 3 hours.
- Note: If you have an ice cream maker: Transfer custard to the ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.
Summer and ice-cream go perfect together! I have to admit that I am an all-year-round ice-cream and popsicles person, but during the summer time I enjoy these frozen treats even more.
Helado de Ron con Pasas (Rum and Raisins Ice Cream) is one of the most popular ice cream flavors in Colombia and you can find it in every ice cream shop around the country. I’m not much of a drinker, but I love Helado de Ron con Pasas and it is my favorite ice cream flavor.
Making ice-cream at home is very easy, a lot of fun, and you can make exactly the flavor you are craving. If you do not have an ice-cream maker, don't worry, because you too can make delicious ice cream at home!