Arepitas Fritas are one of those classic Colombian treats that I just love. Traditional Colombian restaurants serve them as an appetizer with guacamole, hogao, chimichurri and ají or, as a side dish with pollo asado or Roasted chicken.
They are a hit at parties, or if you’re alone, a handful along with a glass of refajo makes for a delicious treat!
Buen provecho, guys!
About 12 arepitas
11/2 cups precooked cornmeal
11/2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup queso fresco, crumbled
1. Combine the cornmeal, warm water, cheese, butter and salt, mixing thoroughly. Let mixture stand for five minutes.
2. Knead with your hands for about 3 minutes moistening your hands with water as you work.
3. Form 12 small balls with the dough. Place each ball between your palms, pressing to form a thick patty.
4. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, then fry arepas in 2 batches, turning over once, until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
5. Serve with guacamole, hogao, chimichurri or ají.