This post is also available in Spanish
Bistec Encebollado or steak cooked with onion sauce, is a Colombian classic. It is also a dish that I love! it is especially good over white rice with tomato-avocado salad on the side.
My mom makes the best Bistec Encebollado! Thanks Mami 🙂
- 2 pounds skirt steak or filet
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more to cook the beef
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- Place the steaks between sheets of wax paper, then pound until each steak is about ¼ inch thick.
- Place the pounded steaks in a zip lock plastic bag. Add the mustard, cumin, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Be sure the steaks are evenly covered.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the tomato, worcestershire sauce, wine, salt and pepper. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Place the steaks into the skillet and cook for 5 minutes per side. Add the onion sauce, mix and serve.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...