This post is also available in Spanish
This Pollo en Salsa de Coco (Chicken with Coconut Sauce) is a popular Colombian dish and is a quick and tasty way to cook chicken. I made it with chicken drums, but you can use any part of the chicken you prefer. The sauce can be used for other poultry and fish dishes as well. Serve hot over white rice.
- 4 Chicken drums, bone in and skin on.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ chopped red bell pepper
- 1 chicken bouillon tablet
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- Cilantro for garnish
- White rice for serving
- Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan, over medium heat. Place the chicken and cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown, turn over and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until the second side is browned.
- Remove from the saucepan and set aside. Add the onions, garlic and red pepper to the sauce pan. Cook, stirring occasionally for 6 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cumin and cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the saucepan and stir in the coconut milk and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low, cover and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Taste and add salt and pepper. Stir in the chopped cilantro and serve warm over white rice.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...