This post is also available in Spanish
Sobrebarriga en Salsa Criolla is a traditional Colombian dish made with flank steak and a very flavorful Creole sauce. This dish was one of my grandmother’s favorite Colombian dishes and she made it at least once a month for our Sunday family dinners. She usually served it with white rice, yuca, avocado and fries on the side.
My grandmother taught us that food really brings the family together, and when I was growing up, it was a tradition for the whole family to gather at her house on Sunday afternoon for a traditional Colombian dinner. She made traditional Colombian food like Sancocho, Arroz con Pollo, and Sobrebarriga en Salsa Criolla, among others. I remember those days well, all the guys playing cards or watching soccer on the TV, the kids playing outside and the women helping Mamita in the kitchen, talking and having the table ready. The family loved getting together and eating Mamita’s food. It was a wonderful time!
To make Sobrebarriga en Salsa Criolla, the flank steak has to be cooked for a long time and the meat will become very tender. You can make it using a regular pot, pressure cooker or a slow cooker.
(4 to 6 servings)
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 8 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, cut in half
- 2 scallions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 3 scallions, diced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground achiote
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- In a pot, place the flank steak, water, onion, scallions, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat for about 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the beef from the pot and set aside
- To make the sauce: In a saucepan, place the oil, tomatoes, red bell pepper, onions, scallions, garlic, achiote, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve: Place the cooked flank steak on a plate and drizzle with the creole sauce.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...