I don’t know why, but I’ve been craving comfort food lately. All I want to have is a delicious bowl of homemade soup!
This is my mom’s Split Pea with Pork Soup, and it is one of my favorites!
Ingredients: (4- 6 servings)
1/2 pound dried split peas
6 cups water
2 pounds pork neck bones or pork ribs
Salt and pepper
1 cup diced carrots
2 garlic cloves
1 cup chopped onion
1 scallion, chopped
1/4 cup red bell pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 large potato, peeled and diced
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Avocado and extra cilantro for serving
1. Place the peas in a pot, cover with water and soak overnight. Drain the peas and set aside.
2. Place the onions, scallions, garlic and red bell pepper in a food processor. Set aside.
3. Place the pork bones, water, onion mixture, split peas, salt and pepper in a pot, and cook over medium low-heat for about 20 minutes.
4. Add the ground cumin, potatoes and cilantro. Cook for 30 minutes more or until the peas are tender. Add more water as needed if the soup becomes too thick.
5. Season with salt and pepper. To serve, top with avocado and fresh cilantro.