Ají de Maní is a traditional Colombian sauce and a must to serve empanadas de pipian. This delicious peanut hot sauce is also perfect to serve on top of grilled meats.
Ají de Maní Recipe (Peanut Hot sauce)
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup roasted peanuts
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 large garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon sazon goya with azafran achiote or color
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon habanero pepper chopped
- 2 cups of water
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan, add the scallions and cilantro. Cook for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a blender and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until smooth. Transfer the sauce to the sauce pan and cook over medium-low for 12 to 15 minutes. Let it cool and serve.
Ají de Maní is a spicy sauce indigenous to the Popayan region of Colombia. It is a must for Empanadas de Pipian and Tamales de Pipian. I personally love this delicious sauce with fresh vegetables or grilled chicken.
My American husband eats this sauce as a dip with Ritz crackers and he says that it is really good. However you use it, it is a wonderful spicy sauce recipe.
More delicious sauces and dips: