Ají picante or Ají Piqué is a spicy sauce from my hometown Antioquia. We keep it in the refrigerator all year round. It is an absolute must for Colombian Empanadas and it is the perfect sauce to flavor soups, stews and the perfect dipping sauce for Patacones. Growing up in my house we used it in almost every dish my mom made and it is my dad’s favorite condiment.
Ají Picante (Colombian Hot Sauce)
- 1 seeded small hot pepper or 1 red habanero pepper
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- Put the vinegar and habanero pepper in a blender for 2 minutes.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir to mix. Add the vinegar and habanero mix to the bowl and mix well.
- Pour in a glass jar and cover. Refrigerate up to 10 days.