Torta de Pastores (Colombian Cheese and Rice Pudding Cake)
- 4 cups of rice pudding
- 3 cups of bizcochuelo or sponge cake crumbs
- ¼ cup of butter melted
- ¾ of cup of white cheese or queso blanco shredded
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- ½ cup of raisins soaked in warm water for 30
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ½ cup of Moscatel or Oporto wine
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat an oven to 325°F. Lightly butter a large baking pan.
- Drain the raisins and place in a large mixing bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for about 15 minutes, then release the pan sides and slide the cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm or cold.
Torta de Pastores is a traditional dessert from the Valle department of Colombia. Soothing, comforting, and just downright good, there's nothing like digging into a delicious, warm and sweet homemade dessert when the weather is getting cooler.
It's a pretty filling and rich dessert so a word of advice, serve this after a light meal, that way you can enjoy an extra portion. Another great aspect of this cake is that it tastes even better the next day.