Arepas are definitely one my favorite Colombian dishes and these stuffed arepas with mozzarella cheese or Arepas Rellenas de Queso are absolutely delicious.
Other Popular and All-Time Favorite Traditional Colombian Dishes: Empanadas Colombianas (Colombian Empanadas), Sancocho de Gallina (Chicken Sancocho), Ajiaco Bogotano (Chichen and Potato Soup), Bandeja Paisa (Paisa Tray), Pandebono (Cheese Bread), Buñuelos (Cheese Balls).
- 2 cups pre cooked corn meal (masarepa)
- 2 cups hot water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon soft butter, divided
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese
- In a medium bowl mix the masarepa, water, salt and butter. Knead with your hands for about 3 minutes moistening your hands with water as you work.
- Form 6 small balls with the dough. Place each ball between 2 plastic bags or parchment paper and with a flat pot cover flatten to about 1/3 inch. The arepas should be about 5” in diameter.
- Add the butter to a nonstick pan over medium heat. Place the arepas in the pan, and cook about 3 minutes on each side, until a crust forms or until they are golden brown.
- Split the arepas using a knife as you would do with an English muffin and stuff wit 2 slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Place the stuffed arepas back on the skillet over medium high heat and cook 2 minutes on each side or until the cheese is melted and serve immediately.