Cooking flank Steak this way is ideal when you want to prepare a dish ahead of time. Carne Desmechada or Ropa Vieja is another popular recipe in Colombia. Serve it with patacones, white rice or arepa.
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 9 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ cups hogao
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- In a pot, place the flank steak, water, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the meat is cooked.
- Measure 1 cup of the liquid used to cook the meat. Set aside.
- Remove the beef from the pot, let it cool and shred with a fork or your hands.
- In a saucepan, place the shredded beef, hogao, tomato paste and 1 cup of beef liquid. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot over white rice or arepa.