Colombians love Estofados. We make them with chicken,fish,beef and pork served over white rice. This Beef Stew in Tomato Sauce (Estofado de Res) is very rich, with the tomato sauce base adding a sweetness to the dish.
Beef Stew in Tomato Sauce (Estofado de Res)
- 2 pounds boneless beef for stew cut into 2” x 2” cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 large carrots slice crosswise
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 large potatoes peeled and cut into small chunks
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and cook for about 4 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Coat the beef chunks with the flour and add to the pot, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Add the tomato sauce, beef stock, bay leaf, salt, cumin powder and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low, cover and let it cook for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Serve with white rice.
This dish is a bowl of pure dish comfort loaded with flavor. Best of all, it's easy to put together!