Mazorca Desgranada (Corn Kernels Snack)
- 4 ears corn husked and silks removed
- 8 tablespoons of garlic sauce pink sauce or tartar sauce
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco feta cheese or grated mozzarella
- Cooked crispy bacon to your taste or shredded chicken
- Potato sticks or crushed potato chips for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot with salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the corn and cook until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the corn to a bowl and allow them to cool slightly. Using a serrated knife, remove the kernels from the corn. Divide the corn between 4 individual plates. Drizzle with the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese and top with bacon and potatoes. Serve immediately.
Mazorca Desgranada is an all time favorite Colombian snack (antojito) made with fresh corn, sprinkled with cheese, drizzled with different sauces and topped with crunchy potatoes with a choice of bacon or chicken. My mouth is watering just writing about it! There is also a baked version of mazorca desgranada called maizitos, prepared with bechamel sauce, bacon, and baked in the oven.
I remember enjoying plates of mazorca desgranada and maizitos when I lived in Colombia. On weekends after a party night (rumba) with my friends, we loved going to eat at a popular small restaurant that specialized in Colombian street food called "Mario Bross". It served delicious snacks like salchipapas, hot dogs, burgers, chuzos or pinchos, maizitos gratinados and mazorca desgranada.
Mazorca Desgranada was my favorite dish on their menu and seriously, I was so obsessed with it that I had to order it every time I visited the place. You must try this!