This post is also available in Spanish
Chimichurri is a traditional Argentinean herb sauce, but there are other South American variations. In Colombia we add cilantro to the chimichurri. You can keep this sauce refrigerated for up to a week.
- 1 ½ pounds flank steak, trimmed
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 ½ cups fresh parsley
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Combine 2 tablespoons olive, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, ½ tablespoon ground cumin and ½ teaspoon mustard in a small bowl, mix well. Rub the steak with the marinade and place in a large bag. Seal and refrigerate for a least 3 hours or overnight.
- To prepare chimichurri: Place all the chimichurri ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a container.
- To prepare steak: Remove steak from marinade bag and remove as much of the marinade as possible. Discard remaining marinade. Place the steak on the preheated grill and cook 5 minutes on each side for medium doneness or cook until desired degree of doneness.
- Remove from grill and allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes. Slice the steak against the grain and top with chimichurri sauce.