Knock, knock, knock… anybody home? No? You’re probably brining turkeys or baking hams, mashing sweet potatoes or baking pies or are at the mall finishing your holiday shopping. So, while most of you are working on your holiday meals and gifts, I want to wish a Merry Christmas to all of you and your families!
I want to share this Tres Leches Chocolate Cake that I made for my husband’s birthday a month ago. He had been asking for this Tres Leches Chocolate Cake variation for a while, but I never made or even heard about it before. So, I created it for his birthday and it was a great idea. The result was a moist, rich and absolutely fantastic chocolate cake! I didn’t add any frosting to mine because it was perfect as it was, but if you want to use frosting you can. To me, the cake didn’t need anything else.
I am giving away a $150 Visa Gift card from BlogHer. All you need to do for a chance to win is go to my review page here.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa
1 cup water
12 tablespoons butter, soft
5 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Tres Leches Sauce:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Grease and lightly flour a baking dish.
3. To make the cake: In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, cocoa and baking powder.
4. In a large bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes .Reduce the speed to low. Add the flour mixture, butter, water and vanilla extract and mix for 2 more minutes.
5. Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Remove cake from the oven and with a fork make holes all over the top of the cake. Set aside to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. When the cake is cooling, make the milk sauce, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, heavy cream and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.
7. Pour the 3 milks sauce over the cake until it is all absorbed. Refrigerate for a least 3 hours or overnight.