Arepa de Huevo is a traditional Colombian dish from the Caribbean region of the country. This arepa stuffed with egg is sold around the beaches in Cartagena.
Arepa de Huevo (Arepa Stuffed with Egg)
- 1 cup of yellow or white masarepa or pre-cooked corn meal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 eggs
- In a medium bowl, mix the masarepa, salt and sugar with a fork. Add the warm water and mix with a spoon. Then using your hands form dough. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form each portion into a ball by rolling between the palms of your hands. Reserve a small piece of dough and set aside.
- Place a piece of parchment paper or plastic in the kitchen counter, place the ball of dough and cover with another piece of paper or plastic and with a flat pot cover or a cutting board flatten into rounds, about ¼ inch thick.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy pot to 350° F. Add the arepas in the heated oil one by one, fry for 3 minutes turning over once, about half way trough.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the arepas from the oil and drain on paper towels. When the arepa is cold enough to handle, with a sharp knife make an opening about 1 ½ inches long on the side of the arepa, cutting to the middle of the arepa without slicing all the way through, just like making a pocket.
- Crack 1 egg into a small ramekin and carefully pour the egg into the arepa pocket. Take the small piece of the dough you had aside and close the arepa. Add the arepa filled with egg to the hot oil and fry one more time for about 4 minutes, to cook the egg.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the arepas from the oil and drain on paper towel and serve immediately.
Arepa de Huevo is a typical dish from the Caribbean region of Colombia where they are sold on street stalls. These arepas are served in Colombian homes for breakfast, but I remember my family making them for dinner so you can serve them at any time of the day.
This Arepa de Huevo or Colombian Arepa Filled with Egg recipe is absolutely delicious with a cup of coffee for an afternoon snack.