This Stuffed Avocado with Shrimp dish is very easy to prepare and is ideal to serve for lunch or a delicious snack at any time of the day.
Aguacates Rellenos de Camarones are a popular appetizer in Colombia and other parts of South America. Here are some of my favorite stuffed avocado recipes tuna salad stuffed avocados, shrimp and mango stuffed avocados, chicken salad stuffed avocados and these shrimp with pink sauce stuffed avocados.
I love making stuffed avocados for lunch during the week, because they are delicious, quick and easy to make. You can prepare the shrimp mixture and lettuce ahead of time and place it in the fridge until ready to serve. Just wait until right before serving to slice and stuff the avocado.
What do you Need to Make this Avocado Stuffed with Shrimp Recipe
Avocados: You have to use ripe avocados. If you don't find ripe avocados place the unripe avocados in a brown paper bag with some ripe bananas. The bananas will help ripen the avocados fast.
Shrimp: I used uncooked shrimp for this recipe and cooked them at home, but you can use frozen cooked shrimp. Just thaw them a couple of hours before making this dish.
Onion: I like to use red onion, but feel free to use white or yellow onions if you prefer.
Limes: I recommend using fresh limes for this dish.
Pink Sauce: Here is my recipe for salsa rosada, a mixture of ketchup and mayo.
Herbs: Fresh cilantro and parsley
Seasoning: Salt and pepper
Lettuce: For serving.
Avocado Stuffed with Shrimp Recipe (Aguacates Rellenos de Camarones)
- 4 ripe avocados
- 24 shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- Juice of 2 limes
- ¾ cup salsa rosada
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Lettuce for serving
- Bring water to a boil in a small pot. Add the shrimp, cover and turn the heat off. Leave the shrimp in the water for 5 minutes and drain.
- In a medium bowl, place the shrimp, onion, salsa rosada, cilantro, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cut the avocados lengthwise and remove the pit, drizzle with the lime juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the lettuce in a serving plate and place the avocados on top. Fill each avocado with the shrimp mixture.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve immediately.