These Tilapia Fish Tacos are easy to make and absolutely delicious. Perfect for a weeknight or a dinner party.
These crowd-pleasing tilapia fish tacos are wonderful for a quick weeknight dinner. They are ready in around 30 minutes and can easily be scaled up to feed a crowd.
What You Need to Make This Recipe
Fish: I use tilapia, but you can use cod, mahi mahi, halibut or your favorite fish.
Seasoning: Cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. If you don't like spicy food just omit the chili powder.
Tortillas: I love corn tortillas to make my tacos, but if you prefer flour tortillas feel free to use them.
Vegetables and Herbs: Cilantro, onion, avocado, lime and shredded lettuce. You can swap the lettuce for cabbage if you want.
Oil: I like to use olive oil to cook my fish, but you can use canola or avocado oil if you prefer.
Another reason I love making these tilapia fish tacos recipe is just how easy they are to customize. You can use a variety of fish and top them up with your favorite toppings and salsa. To see the whole recipe and cooking instructions read the card below.
Tilapia Fish Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound tilapia fish
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder optional
- Juice of 2 limes divided
- Salt and Pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sliced red onion
- 1 small avocado diced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place the fish on a plate and sprinkle with the cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper and chili powder, if you want a kick. Drizzle with olive oil and the juice of 1 lime.
- Preheat a skillet over medium- high heat. Add the fish and cook until golden on the outside. Remove from the skillet and transfer to a plate.
- Combine the avocado, juice of 1 lime, onion, cilantro, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat the tortillas in an ungreased nonstick pan and wrap the tortillas in a clean towel to keep them warm.
- To assemble the tacos, place an equal amount of the tilapia in each tortilla, along with a big spoonful of the avocado mixture and top with shredded lettuce. Serve with your favorite salsa on the side.
Mexican food is one of my favorite cuisines and it’s full of tradition and flavor. I want to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, a Mexican holiday, with this tilapia fish taco recipe.
More fish recipes you should try