Arroz con Leche is one of my favorite Colombian desserts. This Colombian-Style Rice Pudding version is sweet, and creamy.
The rice pudding will thicken more as it cools, so be careful not to overcook.
I hope you enjoy making my simple and easy Arroz con Leche recipe!
- (6 to 8 servings )
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, washed
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups milk
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 (12 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- In a small pot, add water and cinnamon sticks, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Set aside and discard cinnamon sticks.
- Place the rice and the cinnamon water in a large saucepan, over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, butter, vanilla extract, 2 cups of milk, and sugar. Stir well to mix and cook uncovered for approximately 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add the remaining milk and condensed milk. Stir with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the rice pudding thickens to desire consistency.
- Stir well and remove from heat, and let it cool at room temperature. The consistency should be very creamy. Refrigerate for a least 1 hour or overnight.